Dr Peter Smyth
Experience of dental negligence and expert witness report work:
- Dental negligence – experience of complex and high-value cases
- Over 15 years of medico-legal experience
- Acts for the claimant and defendant, SJE
- Writing over 80 reports each year and increasing
- Accredited, APIL 1st tier, Sweet & Maxwell checked, UK register with references & AVMA
- Qualified & regular training e.g. Civil Expert Witness Certificate
- Consultation rooms throughout North West of England & North Wales
- No waiting time in private practice
- Aim to report within 4 weeks
- Professional reports, terminology explained and easy to understand
- Have experience of expert meetings, attending court and giving oral evidence
- Quantum determined by a working clinician has the benefit of accurately reflecting exactly what clients can expect to pay for remedial dental care based on fees for similar cases in private practice
- Reports for the General Dental Council
Telephone: 0151 423 1601 Hannah Jane
Mobile: 07810 303319 Dr Smyth
Fax: 0151 550 7834
Postal address for medico-legal documents
Dr Peter Smyth, Hawthorne Ash, 34 Ash Lane, Widnes, Cheshire, WA8 8JQ
Dental negligence – summary
Over the last 15 years I have reported for claimants with a small amount of defendant work for some exceptionally complex and high-value dental cases. I have a thorough knowledge of clinical dentistry, standards and assessing liability, causation, condition and prognosis in relation to cosmetic dentistry, implants, wisdom teeth, crowns and bridges, orthodontics, undiagnosed periodontal diseases, extractions, root canal treatment, misdiagnosis, child neglect, veneers, broken instruments, tooth whitening, dental sedation and local anaesthetic/surgery nerve injuries. Record keeping & consent.
My Civil Law certificate has enabled me to provide professional concise report work following instructions and highlighting issues in a court format written in a style which is easy to understand for non-dentists.
Meetings – I have chaired telephone meetings with other experts in order to prepare a joint statement in relation to personal injury and dental negligence cases. I have met with clients and their solicitors and Barristers in order to discuss complex dental cases.
Report writing – reports are professionally presented, often clinical photographs are included, and they are written in a clear style and where terminology is used it is also explained in simple language for the non-dentist reader.
Court attendance & giving oral evidence – I have attended a civil court on three occasions and given oral evidence twice. I have given oral evidence based on my report work in a criminal court on one occasion. I regularly undergo courtroom training and this has provided valuable practical experience.
Accreditations – I am registered with The Expert Witness Directory with a checked status and the UK Register of Expert Witnesses with 4 solicitor references on file.
Teaching – In addition to simulated clinical skills I teach postgraduate dentists the legal issues surrounding the dental profession and how to manage risk to defend against the allegation of dental negligence. I am a confident public speaker.
Standards – my clinic and expert witness service has achieved the following safety and quality awards:
- Conservative dentistry
- Orthodontics (braces)
- Restorative dentistry (fillings, crowns and veneers)
- Prosthetic Dentistry (replacing missing teeth, bridges, implants, dentures)
- Periodontology (gum disease)
- Endodontics (root fillings and dental nerve problems, trauma)
- Surgery (tooth extractions, wisdom teeth)
- Cosmetic dentistry (tooth whitening, white fillings)
- Dental records
- Dental competence
- Dental negligence
- Dental accidents
- Personal injury
- Road Traffic Accidents
- Falling / Tripping / Slipping
- Sports & leisure Injuries
- Criminal Assault
- Clinical photography.
Faculty activities at divisional/national level
- Board member of the Faculty of General Dental Practitioners, this organisation publishes the standards for dental practice
- Regular attendee of Mersey Deanery section 63 courses
- Involved with training programmes in the North West and providing lectures and hands-on simulated clinical skills for postgraduate dentists
- President-Elect of Liverpool & District Odontology Society
- Founder of Merseyside Endodontic Study Club sponsored by The British Endodontic Society.
- Society of Expert Witnesses
- Association of Dental Implantology UK
- British Society for Dental & Maxillofacial Radiology
- British Endodontic Society
- British Society of Periodontology.
Telephone: 0151 423 1601 Hannah Jane